A comprehensive dental examination is a key part of maintaining your dental health and addressing problems before they get worse.
What is a Comprehensive Oral Exam?
A comprehensive dental exam is an exam that covers all areas of the mouth, including the gums, tongue, soft tissues of the mouth, throat and supporting structures, jaw and salivary glands.
According to the American Dental Association, comprehensive exams are recommended for new patients. They should also be performed on an ongoing basis afterwards. For high-risk patients, dentists may recommend more frequent exams.
A comprehensive exam is the foundation of any preventative services or treatments your dentist recommends. Ongoing comprehensive exams are vital to evaluating changes in your dental and periodontal health.
What Does a Comprehensive Oral Examination Include?
Your first comprehensive oral exam with a new dentist requires a special appointment.
Here are the separate components of this exam:
- Periodontal Exam (examining the gums, spaces between the gums and the bones supporting the teeth)
- Dental Exam (examining the teeth)
- Head and Neck Cancer Exam (examining the soft tissues of the mouth, throat and surrounding structures)
- Occlusal Exam (analysis of bite and the way the teeth come together in the mouth)
- TMJ Joint (examination of the jaw joint)
- Radiographic Exam (x-rays and various other scans)
- Salivary Function Exam (examination of the function of the salivary glands)
- Esthetic Exam (check of the teeth and gum’s appearance in relation to the face)
A comprehensive dental exam ensures that no aspect of your dental or oral health is left in question. Through a complete array of tests, diagnostics, visual examinations and measurements, your dentist will gain a complete picture of the health your teeth, gums, jaw, all related structures.
A comprehensive exam is also recommended before undergoing the following procedures:
- Esthetic changes to your smile
- Dental implants to replace lost teeth
- Replacing old dental restorations
- Getting new dentures
Are you concerned about the health of your teeth or gums? A comprehensive dental examination can help put your mind at ease.
Patriot Family Dental in Clarksville is proud to provide comprehensive oral exams; contact us today to schedule your appointment.