For many individuals, dental fillings aren’t enough to protect and preserve a damaged tooth. Dental crowns and bridges are a more thorough measure to prevent further tooth damage and allow normal chewing and talking.
Patriot Family Dental is proud to specialize in dental crowns and bridges for individuals with damaged or missing teeth.
A dental crown is a protective, tooth-shaped cap that is placed on top of a damaged tooth. Crowns are permanently secured with dental cement. Unlike a filling, a crown covers an entire tooth, providing not only strength and protection but also improving the appearance of the tooth.
Dental crowns are also used to cover dental implants, secure a bridge, or to cover a tooth that’s had a root canal.
Before a dental crown can be placed, an impression of the tooth receiving the crown will need to be taken. This impression will then be sent to a lab where it will be used to craft a custom crown that will fit the individual’s unique tooth and bite patterns.
Most dental crowns are made from porcelain, gold alloy and base metal alloys.
- Porcelain crowns are desirable because of their tooth-like appearance. Porcelain is also more resistant to staining than other materials. A porcelain crown is more expensive than other options, but can last up to 15 years with good oral hygiene.
- Gold Alloy is a more popular choice for crowns in the back of the mouth. Gold alloy crowns are able to withstand the strong forces of chewing and biting. They also don’t crack or break.
- Base Metal Alloys–typically cobalt-chromium and nickel-chromium–make good crowns because they withstand the pressures of biting and chewing. These materials rarely wear down and don’t chip or crack. The main drawback to base metal alloy crowns is the silver metallic appearance. Due to this, base metal alloys are used mainly in crowns for less visible teeth.
A dental bridge is another option for restoring damaged and missing teeth.
When you lose a tooth to decay, damage or infection, a gap is created in the mouth. A missing tooth makes eating difficult, and can even affect speech.
One way to correct a missing tooth is a dental bridge.
Rather than a single crown covering one tooth, a dental bridge creates a reinforced “bridge” of two crowns that cover the teeth on either side of a missing tooth. A replacement tooth that fits into the gap is attached to the bridge.
Bridges are important because the teeth on either side of a missing tooth can shift and potentially lead to gum disease.
Bridges are most often made with porcelain and gold.
Benefits of Dental Bridges:
- Prevents moving and erosion
- Last a long time
- Restore ability to chew properly
- Maintain the shape of the face
- Restore smile
- Aesthetically appealing
If you have questions regarding dental crowns or bridges in Clarksville, TN, Patriot Family Dental is happy to help! Contact us today to learn more about our services or to schedule your appointment.